Friday, February 4, 2011

Yummm...

I am sitting here wondering what to write about. I kinda wish that I had a new book review to post or something, but no such luck. To be honest, I have kinda been slacking when it comes to writing or reading anything. I did however bake a wonderful cake for my husband the other day.

My intention was not to bake a cake. I was going to make brownies. Now making brownies may sound simple to you, but not to me. I have a self imposed restriction against baking them. Don't get me wrong, I love brownies. I love eating them. But the brownies don't like me making them. True to past history, I mixed all my ingredients together and reached into the jumbo warehouse sized box of brownie mix for a pouch (see we really like brownies!) when chocolate powder went flying. The bag had been split open. I reached for the last bag only to find that one too had been split open. Now my parents taught me well that if a package is open, not to use it.

Here I was with my eggs and oil mixed together and my oven pre-heated. I really wanted something chocolate. I did have the ingredients to make something from scratch, but in the back of my pantry I found a box of Devil's Food Cake mix. All I needed to do was add another egg and some more water.

Now this is probably why baking brownies and I don't get along. Of course, I couldn't leave the mix un-tweaked. I added a box of Jello instant chocolate pudding to the mix.  The batter instantly took on the airy consistency of pudding. Now I couldn't leave it just like that. I took a bottle of caramel syrup and drizzled it over the top of the cake batter.

Because I added so much to the mix, I did have to leave it in the oven slightly longer than the cake box recommended. It was worth it. The cake was so moist and the caramel had baked into the batter giving it an interesting flavor. No icing needed for this rich decadent treat.

This will definitely be a repeat recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment