Saturday, August 20, 2011

Prom?

I love this dress! When I saw it, the first thing I thought of was Evie from Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. Such an Evie dress!


I know, you are all wondering why I am talking about a prom dress in August when most areas haven't even started school yet, let alone thought about prom. Well, the movie Prom is due to be released on DVD on Tuesday, August 30th. I saw it with a friend and will say that it is predictably cute and feel good. It screams Disney. However, all those elaborate ways of asking people to prom had us shaking our heads.

Neither one of us had ever experienced the prom craze to this extent. Now I did go to prom--three in fact!-- but I was the one who did the asking cause I went to an all girl high school. Yeah, no guys hanging by the lockers or waiting between classes. The first thing I did upon arriving home was to ask my husband,who went to a typical co-ed public high school, whether the elaborate prom invitations really happened. I have been intrigued by prom ever since.I recently read a totally awesome book called Ditched: a love story by Robin Mellom. It is not due out from Disney-Hyperion until January 2012. What intrigued me about this book was that Justina, the main character, finds herself abandoned in a ditch the morning after prom with no memory of the last 12 hours or how she managed to loss her date. It helped that there was mention about a punk tinker bell tattoo!

Justina's dress is covered in various stains serving as a roadmap of the disastrous night before which she spends the rest of the day analyzing with two women at the local 7-11. She tries to piece together what happened and whether her best friend, her prom date Ian Clark, really turned out to be a total jerk. What she learns is that things -- and people-- are not always what they seem.

I really hope that this book gets picked up for a screenplay soon cause it would make an awesome movie. Definitely pick up it up when it becomes available --oh, and pick up Prom too!

No comments:

Post a Comment